"By teaching you will learn; by learning you will teach."



Thursday, June 10, 2010

Scatter-Brained!

Today’s entry will be kind of scattered thoughts. Because today was long. Good, but long.

I wanted to post yesterday when I had a little bit more time before bed but my internet wouldn’t hook up in the dorm…

BIG NEWS!!!
I have been selected to teach at SPRUCE HIGH SCHOOL next year! I had an interview back in April, didn’t feel like it went that well, and never heard any feedback on the results. I assumed that I had not gotten the placement and would be interviewing with principals tomorrow. Well, there a communication break-down somewhere and I found out kind of hap-hazardly today that I was selected after that interview! I’ll include more about the school and why I love it later…

Overall, Induction is a wonderful, overwhelming, informative, and exhausting. So many sessions, formal dinners, cocktail receptions, and forms to fill out. All so worthwhile and necessary but I’m on information overload! My brain was on vacation for about a month and I can tell that it’s starting to kick back into gear.

This is the time to reach out, meet the other corps members, and create circles of friends with people going through the same experience. Well, that hasn’t exactly happened for me yet and I’ve been a little disappointed about it. My roommate is wonderful, the perfect roommate and we have great conversations, but in social settings she is more reserved than I am. And we all know that I am my best when I’m around the Lisas, Alexis’, and Sarah Leyda’s of this world. I’ve seen this as a challenge and was determined to walk up to random groups, sit with brand new faces, and try to meet as many new people as I can in order to find those friends that I can call and spend time with. Well. I did. I’ve sat at many tables, walked into conversation groups, and sat myself down in sessions next to strangers and I’ve had very little success. And by success I mean actually having someone respond positively, not physically turn their back to me, and initiate future contact (like exchanging phone numbers or at least talking to or saying hi the next time we see each other). I feel like so many people already have their groups and I’m losing time. I’m struggling with this and have been a little bitter because “I’m holding up my end of the deal,” but at the same time reminding myself that God is in control of my relationships and I will meet the people I need to in the right time. I’m currently praying for a “Lisa” or “Alexis” or “Sarah” to talk to. If you would join in praying for that for me it would be wonderful. I’m just lonely right now. In a room full of people but feeling isolated. And during this transition in my life – it’s pretty difficult to not have at least one person to count on.

The schedule today has worn on me. Breakfast was at 7, sessions all day, cocktail reception at the Jones Day Law Firm, test prep study session (that ran over), and then loads of DISD forms to fill out before going to bed. The sessions were interesting today – received tons of info on DISD and then on the city of Dallas. I now have lists upon lists of the best places to eat (come visit and we’ll check one out!), where to get my pedicures, teacher supply stores, teacher discounts, and safety tips.

The reception at the Law Firm was cool – made me feel official and grown-up! They gave each of us a $35 gift certificate to a teacher supply store and provided a light dinner and drinks. While mingling I was able to meet a TFA staff member who graduated from Baylor in ’08 and just finished her Phoenix area corps experience. We had some great conversations, connected about our excitement for using children’s math literature in high school classes, and talked about getting resources from her in the future. I was so thankful for this wonderful contact and great conversation!

I’m the only one having to still be up so late because I’m the only person in my specific situation with certification. So while the other certified teachers were filling out paperwork tonight, I needed to be at my test prep session because I have to add that test to my current certification. Needless to say, I’ve spent the past few hours filling out paperwork. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve checked the box, Ethnicity? *White. I was white last time. I still am. And I’m pretty sure by the time I get to the next form I still will be. I became tempted to fill in Other: Cream Other: Tan! Other: Off-white. I don’t think the would have taken that too well… Maybe not so professional? Lol.

My feet have never had blisters like this before. Haven’t worn shoes other than flip-flops and hiking boots for over a month. My feet are not happy with me. Lots of band-aids! I’ve got to get my ability back to wear heals all of the time!

So I’ve been straightening my hair. The humidity has curled it for me. Thank you humidity, you belong in Houston, not Dallas. Please go back to your home – I will meet you there in 4 days.

I have to be ready to leave at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I’ve decided I need a moment to myself, a good breakfast, and plenty of coffee. So I’m leaving by 6:30 to go to Dunkin’ Donuts. Considering I won’t be asleep until 1:30 and will have to get up at 5:30, does that make sense? Probably not. But I need my sanity. And chocolate munchkins and my mug of coffee may help me keep it.

I realize the overall tone of this is probably kind of negative. The main factor for this: It’s after 1AM. My overall experience is definitely a positive one and I’m beginning to look forward to institute more and more.

Please continue praying for the Lord to bring into my life those friends that I need to meet and for stamina to stay focused and positive for the remainder of induction.

Holding Onto His Hand,
Courtney

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love your blog! It makes me miss you. I'm so proud of you for going way out of your way and comfort zone to meet people. The time that God will use while you are waiting to meet that person you can count on and really call your friend is going to continue building your character, will continue to make you depend on Him and it will make that moment when you do meet a great person or group of people SO worth the wait!! You are wonderful and I am so excited that you will be at that school!! Well keep having fun and keep the faith! Oh and keep checking the white boxes just so they know ;) love you

    ReplyDelete